Baby Steps to Start Funding Your OPEB Trust
Big Steps to Maximize Your Existing OPEB Trust
(Session 2: Pension & OPEB Insider)
Decisions regarding OPEB funding are complex, and even more so in the current volatile economic climate. Public finance leaders and officials have to make short and long-term decisions on policies and budgets that are impacted by rising costs. Frequent questions include:
- Should we prefund the benefits? Pay as you go vs. prefunding, how do we analyze which is better for my agency?
- How much do we need to contribute? Where do funds come from?
- What have local governments done recently to pay down liabilities?
- Is it the right time to become more aggressive or conservative in our investments?
- Are all administrators the same?
This session will answer these questions and explore how to develop creative funding policies.
- Kathleen VonAchen, Chief Financial Officer Kansas City, KS
- Dr. Richard Fry, Retired Superintendent, Big Spring School District, PA
- Maureen Toal, OPEB Trust Expert and PARS SVP